Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Fetal ECHO appt

We had a really good appt this Monday.  It seems like the babies have had another growth spurt so they are back on track (see a trend?).  Aliya's heart defects are still the same but they were just able to see them more in detail.  The ventricles have developed to almost normal size and are functioning well.  Although she doesn't have that main pulmonary artery going from her heart to her lungs, her heart has created another connection from her aorta to her lungs so she is still getting the blood flow there.  She has a medium-sized hole in her heart that they just may want to keep open because it's been the reason her heart has been able to function all this time.  They will give her medications to keep that hole and the connections open after birth.  They also finally gave us some statistics - she will 90% certain to have a surgery to place a shunt in her heart after birth.  Her prognosis is 80-90% to make it through this first surgery, which is so much better than we have heard so far.  I KNOW she will make it.  It will be a rollercoaster but she has always been a fighter and has already made huge advancements in utero. 

This week I reach 31 weeks, which is 8 months pregnant! I have small goals for myself and 32 weeks is a huge milestone for baby survival so that's the next goal I am looking towards.  I feel very sure I'll make it to that.  I have good and bad days but have felt great this week for the most part.  My life has slowed down a lot.  I pass the time studying nursing, playing Cake Mania, watching a lot of TV shows and movies, whittling down my to-do list to nothing, and learning Spanish with Rosetta Stone at home (ok, so I've gotten so far as installing it but I WILL become fluent in Spanish).  Cheryl helps out so much with chores, errands, and driving me around. 

The last week or so I have gone through the huge emotional change of feeling very excited and just emotionally preparing for the babies' births.  I think I have held off on "letting go" and allowing myself to get excited, because Aliya's physical hurdles just seemed too overwhelming up until now. 

Next up is we are working on getting our next fetal ECHO set up in 4 weeks.  They want to make sure no fluid is building up around Aliya's heart, etc.  We are also working on setting up a time to meet with Aliya's surgeon to discuss that whole process.  And my next OB dr appointment is next Tuesday, Jan. 18th.  Talk to you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment