Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Nearing the End

About a week after the last appointment, I was driving Jordan to school and after I dropped him off, I was feeling a lot of pain from driving.  As I was getting on the freeway, my heart started racing, I started sweating, and then my vision went from blurred spotty to completely black.  Luckily, I had the time to pull over to the side and then started throwing up everywhere.  It was very scary.  I called the dr's office and they told me to go to Labor & Delivery right away.  They found my heart rate high and thought I was dehydrated. 
Since then I've been getting progressively more uncomfortable.  I really don't feel like doing anything anymore.  Even walking from the living room to the kitchen makes me out of breath.  Walking gives me contractions so what else is there to do?

The last few weeks I've been getting almost all of the early labor symptoms.  The last week has been especially intense.  It feels exactly the way I felt about 2 weeks before Jordan was born.  3 weeks in between appointments feels way too long.

Our Fetal Echo was cancelled this Monday, which was so disappointing.  I wanted more information about Aliya's heart.  It was rescheduled for next Monday, the 10th. 
Our appointment today was very informative.  Heart rates for both babies are good.  Rianna is 3 lbs 1 oz and Aliya is 2 lbs 15 oz.  Although they are growing, they are still kind of small and the dr will keep an eye that they continue to do so. 
Both babies are very low and head down.  It sounds like this positioning may be causing cervical changes and contractions because my cervix shortened by 1.5 cm.   They gave me steroid shots to mature the babies lungs in case they are coming early.  I have to have another one tomorrow that Cheryl has to give me and I'm scared! But it can't be much worse than what the nurse did to me today! 
I mentioned my black out episode to the dr and he knew exactly what I was talking about.  He told me that all of those symptoms are because of diminished red blood cells.  That my body is increasing my blood volume so much that when I'm driving, the blood all pools in my legs and can't get pumped up to my heart.  He told me that passing out can happen very quickly so I am not able to drive anymore.  I am still trying to figure out how to see Jordan because that drive is 2 hours round-trip for me to pick him up.  I am also supposed to be resting at home and laying down as much as possible.  This is all very hard because I'm used to being so independent and there is so much left to be done around the house, in preparation for the babies and just in daily errands and chores. 

The goal set by the dr for now is to make it 4 more weeks.  I feel I can do this, I hope I can keep them in there.  Next ECHO is Jan. 10th.  Next dr appt is Jan. 18th.  

Jordan had a great Christmas break and we all had so much fun together.  New Years Eve was very mellow and we went out for dinner and watched the festivities on TV but fell asleep by 11 pm.  We should have partied it up last New Years Eve while we had the chance ;)
Cheryl is thinking about re-enlisting in the Navy and will probably do so.  She will probably have to apply for re-enlistment next month.  Her previous plan was to get out and go to school but she doesn't feel like she wants to do it at this time.  Of course we'll support whatever she decides. 
All for now!

1 comment:

  1. The good thoughts are still headed your way! I'm glad to hear the girls are growing but sorry you're feeling so craptastic. Thanks for the updates...I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete